Thursday, June 16, 2016

The end of one road, and the beginning of another.

One month ago I sat for my oral boards for final certification by the American Board of Radiology. This exam represents the final hurdle in what is (normally) a decade long road after college. It should be 4 years of medical school, then 5 years of residency and one final year of independent practice. During this time, you take innumerable exams: the USMLE Steps 1, 2CK, 2CS and 3 followed by the ABR radiation physics and biology exam, then written clinical exams, followed at last by the oral boards.

I found it interesting that during the time leading up to residency (during undergrad), we have been selected based on who performed the best. This includes striving for As in college (and high school...), the highest #MCAT score you can manage, and then doing as well as you can on 'the Steps' so as to assure the residency you desire. Once you make it to your speciality training however, this turns on its head. The desire to perform your best is replaced by the abject fear of failure. This fear basically ramps up higher and higher until by the week before the oral exams, everyone in your discipline is just standing at the edge of the abyss of self-doubt (at least I was).

The change is from filter to pump. At the beginning, the desire is to filter folks out, but once the desired level of rarification is reached, they don't want you to fail any more - they want to pump you through. It was a long road, and one which I am extremely happy to be done with.

I will resume this stream next week with an update on my research and what I think is a nice result about stem cells and phylogenetic trees...

A final thought. I was speaking with a friend and mentor of mine recently about the transition from resident to faculty. He said when you finish residency you feel like you've finally climbed to the top of the mountain. But, in academic medicine, you realize that the mountaintop that you just summited is actually the bottom of an even bigger one. Now you are no longer competing against your peers and co-trainees, but instead you are competing against those who trained you. In the ridiculous funding climate, this is a hard truth.  So, while I feel good to have gotten to where I am, the climb is just beginning.


6 comments:

  1. I am so happy to be finally cured of herpes simplex virus  by herbalist Razor,Ever since i was diagnosed with the virus i have been using medical drugs to suppress it, i later realized it was causing more damage to my health than the virus,i opted for herbs and got to find out about the great work herbalist Doctor razor have been doing with his herbal remedy. i contacted him and he promised to help me get rid of it,after 4 days i received a package fro the delivery service and it was from the doctor who sent me the herbal treatment in Dallas,Texas USA, And he instructed me on how i was going too take in for the 18 days. After completing the dosage he told e to go for a medical checkup and when i did the doctors conducted some test on me but they were stunned that my status was now negative,they conducted several test on me to be sure. i even went to Medical City Dallas Hospital, where they conducted another test and it was still negative. I am so grateful to you herbal doctor razor , God will continue to prosper you,i pray the world gets to know about you and your herbal exploits. Reach him on his email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call his cell phone on +2349065420442. PLEASE SHARE , SO THE WORLD CAN GET TO KNOW ABOUT HIM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr voodoo cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr voodoo the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348140120719 or email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr voodoo that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com?. or WHATSAPP +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to be finally cured of herpes simplex virus  by herbalist Razor,Ever since i was diagnosed with the virus i have been using medical drugs to suppress it, i later realized it was causing more damage to my health than the virus,i opted for herbs and got to find out about the great work herbalist Doctor razor have been doing with his herbal remedy. i contacted him and he promised to help me get rid of it,after 4 days i received a package fro the delivery service and it was from the doctor who sent me the herbal treatment in Dallas,Texas USA, And he instructed me on how i was going too take in for the 18 days. After completing the dosage he told e to go for a medical checkup and when i did the doctors conducted some test on me but they were stunned that my status was now negative,they conducted several test on me to be sure. i even went to Medical City Dallas Hospital, where they conducted another test and it was still negative. I am so grateful to you herbal doctor razor , God will continue to prosper you,i pray the world gets to know about you and your herbal exploits. Reach him on his email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call his cell phone on +2349065420442. PLEASE SHARE , SO THE WORLD CAN GET TO KNOW ABOUT HIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a miracle that I am alive today. I encounter HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS (HSV1&2) for good four (4) years, six (6) months and Ten (10) days with my calculations, before I met Doctor Razor. I am from New York City ,NY USA,I was affected with herpes simplex virus.  Herpes is a viral infection cause by the Herpes simplex virus, marked by painful, watery blister in the skin or mucus membrane or on the genitals. This was what I suffered for over 4 years. I have visited so many hospitals in Houston for treatment but no improvement. I met Doctor Razor on the internet while I was searching for herpes cure,I read some testimonies about his work. I decided to give  his herbal medication a trial, which have now become a testimony in my life. i am so grateful to God almighty for sending doctor Razor my way when i thought all hope was lost. You too can get cured of herpes Simplex virus, if i could overcome it. Reach out to doctor razor via his clinic email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com. Whatsapp his cell phone ON +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I WAS ABLE TO FLUSH OUT THE HERPES VIRUS WITH THE HELP OF DR. KHAM NATURAL PRODUCT, HIS EMAIL dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com. I was diagnosed with Herpes a year ago. It’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to me and  I feel like my life is over. Living with constant pain is something no one should have to go through, Herpes has also had a huge impact on my sleep . Since being diagnosed I’ve fallen so far into depression I see no way out because i have been to different hospital. I’m taking a high dose of antidepressants, as well as sedatives and sleeping-pills. I don’t know how I’ll ever accept that this is my life now…I keep asking why me because know changes? But I guess reading your testimony really made me feel happy because i believe what i had from people out there who you also help to cure the herpes virus, and i believe so much with your herbal medicine i am going to be out of this bad situation like others you also help before, what we i have done if not for the herbal medicine that i requested for that was able to flush out the bad virus that was making me go crazy. people out there how will i thank this man called DR. KHAM, i will advice you to email him direct if you have disease like herpes etc. dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2348159922297

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete